Homeowner Hell

The road to the kitchen of our dreams. This is the diary of a major renovation, out of control before it began, of the home of two adults with full-time jobs, two young children, two elderly and decrepit dogs, and a cranky cat.

Thursday, February 17, 2005

Countertops!

We have counters! And they are beautiful. They are gleaming black and shiny. We even have a sink, and our collective fingers are crossed that tomorrow we will have plumbing. It looks wonderful!

I think we have decided to do hardwood floors in the kitchen and dining room. We need to leave the carpet until the dogs are no longer with us, because they don't cope with slippery flooring, and flooring doesn't cope with dog nails. So we are planning to get prefinished hardwood and install it ourselves and use area rugs to get the dogs to the back door. When we are dogless, we will redo the rest of the flooring with the same hardwood. Trevor is worried we won't be able to find the same thing, or that what we install now will discolour a bit with age, but I think it's worth it. I'd like to take the chance.

Of course now I want to paint the rest of the interior our peanutbuttery colour, and replace the door frames and doors and woodwork, but I'm thinking it will have to wait until the floors are done. Well, maybe I'll paint a wall at a time, but to do it properly, I'll have to move the books, which is a major undertaking in and of itself. Although I am most definitely not ready for all that, I think it speaks volumes about the planning of our current project that I am even still talking about more renovation.

So, here are today's views: North, WNW and WSW. As soon as we get the dishwasher hooked up and the lights done, I think we'll be set. Everything else is gravy, but no one gets paid the rest of their reward until the gravy is completely cooked and served with a parseley garnish.

1 Comments:

At 7:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jen

I don't think you should use prefinished hardwood because it is not recommende for areas where there may be water. If the dishwasher ever leaks it will be ruined. Why don't you use ceramic tile in the kitchen and then hardwood in the rest of the house.

Susan the one that helped you get into this mess

 

Post a Comment

<< Home